The Ultimate DIY Library: 100 Blogs to Help You Build or Make Anything
Do-It-Yourself projects appeal to a plethora of demographics, making them an aspect of society that brings together a diverse section of society. Some enjoy the sense of pride that comes with hard work and creativity, others enjoy the challenge and self-improvement aspect of cobbling together their own necessities. Some do it to save money, others appreciate the anti-establishment underpinnings of independence. And, of course, many adherents to the DIY movement stick to any combination of these potential motivations. The following blogs cover many different subsets of the lifestyle – from technology to fashion and almost anything in between. Seek them out for some amazing advice, patterns, hacks, and other instructions, but do not discount the contributions of unlisted sites as well! The internet overflows with people eager to share their knowledge and experiences and, in turn, learn from others as well.
1. Instructables : Learn how to make anything and everything with the awesome DIY community known as Instructables.
2. eHow : Much like Instructrables, eHow allows users to share their knowledge of DIY projects (and more!) with one another.
3. DIY Blog : DIY Blog provides more than just projects to make at home! It also helps those strapped for cash find ways to do various own repairs as well.
4. Make : Most of Make’s instructions revolve around frequently ingenious applications of technology, but they do feature many crafts and other cool things as well.
5. DIY Life : AOL.com’s portal for all things DIY covers everything from home improvement and beautification projects to crafts to basic tips, tricks, and skills needed to get the jobs done.
6. Lifehacker : The always lovable Lifehacker makes for an (almost) one-stop shop for DIY projects big and small alike.
7. DIY Ideas : Part website, part community, and part blog, this member of the Better Homes & Gardens network encourages readers to take charge of their own home, garden, and craft activities and repairs.
8. U create : This treasure trove of DIY projects leans mostly towards apparel, accessories, crafts, and home décor, but keep a sharp eye out for electronics and technology instructions as well.
9. The How-To Gal : Bookmark The How-To Gal for references on everything from interior decorating, gardening, and home improvement to arts and crafts, jewelry, and clothing.
10. ReadyMade : ReadyMade magazine and its accompanying website and blogs serves as an impressively comprehensive one-stop shop for DIY projects of all shapes, sizes, budgets, experiences, and tastes.
11. Zedomax.com : Most of the Zedomax.com blog entries focus on technology, but some great hacks, how-tos, and DIY projects involving art and design, food, and myriad other topics frequently pop up as well.
12. Daily DIY : It may not be the prettiest of blogs, but Daily DIY updates regularly with projects appealing to a wide variety of handy and creative types.
13. One Pretty Thing : Although most of the DIY projects featured at One Pretty Thing lean towards the crafty end of the spectrum, there are also more then enough fashion, home and garden, and cooking activities posted to warrant a “general” label.
14. Real Simple : Not everything Real Simple discusses caters to the DIY crowd, but they nevertheless play host to an impressively wide variety of excellent how-tos in cooking, cleaning, crafts, fashion, home, garden – and more!
15. Be Different…Act Normal : Cooking, home décor, fashion, upcycling projects, crafts, party planning, and more take the spotlight at this incredibly useful blog.
16. Today’s Creative Blog : DIY enthusiasts with a “right-brained” bent should stop by Today’s Creative Blog for fun and exciting baking, cooking, apparel, accessories, art, home décor, and other neat projects to stimulate the imagination.
Home & Garden :
17. The DIY Show Off : Anyone looking to decorate their own homes would do well to check out the numerous creative projects available for every room and almost every aesthetic and skill level.
18. DIY Network : DIY Network hosts quite a few blogs in addition to its communities, articles, and videos, most of them revolving around home improvement and home décor.
19. Ikea Hacker : Learn how to transform the various components of Ikea furniture into exciting and interesting new products for the home and garden.
20. Young House Love : A young couple blogs about their experience renovating and decorating their first home, and the featured projects for exteriors and interiors alike have garnered quite a bit of attention from a number of different media outlets.
21. Houzz : Browse the photos, writings, and how-to guides for inspiration and instructions on home décor and renovation projects suitable for various budgets.
22. DIYThisNThat.com : AnchorBayTile.com shares ideas for home improvement activities – beyond the DIY instructions, they also feature a number of product reviews to help renovators make the best consumer decisions possible.
23. Garden Voices : Read all about garden hacks and landscaping advice from experts and hobbyists alike who want to encourage homeowners to till their own soil.
24. You’ve Got to See This : MyHomeIdeas.com’s You’ve Got to See This blog offers up an eclectic mix of advice, product features, and DIY projects to personalize and beautify a home both inside and out.
25. House Obsession : Browse House Obsession in order to hopefully absorb some great ideas, inspirations, and instructions on both interior design and remodeling.
26. Design*Sponge : One of the most beloved interior design blogs on the web, Design*Sponge’s posts, videos, podcasts, city guides, and other resources cater to the DIY crowd hoping to flex their creativity.
27. Apartment Therapy : Even though Apartment Therapy’s design tips and projects target those living in limited spaces, they can still apply to larger homes and rooms as well.
28. decor8 : The always delightful decor8 engages its readers and inspires them to decorate and create beautiful spaces without having to hire a professional.
29. Remodelista : Take advantage of Remodelista’s excellent resources on renovation and interior decorating advice and instructions.
30. Making This Home : Enjoy the great how-to guides revolving around creating and maintaining a simple, healthy home and lifestyle provided by an American expatriate in Berlin.
31. Rambling Renovators : This excellent, informative blog hosts a number of different DIY instructions as well as tips and advice on finding inspiration for remodeling and decorating a home.
32. Hacked Gadgets : Technophiles who love tinkering around with the latest electronics will love diverse selection of DIY projects hosted on Hacked Gadgets.
33. Bleeding Edge DIY Tech : The extensive archives at Bleeding Edge DIY Tech provide some amazing activities utilizing almost every electronic device imaginable, making this one of the best resources for the self-reliant gadgeteer.
34. The DIY Musician Blog : While it does cover quite a bit of the marketing and networking end of the industry, musical types with a love of technology will greatly appreciate the information on recording provided here.
35. Hack a Day : Pop into Hack a Day for regularly updated how-tos, product reviews, hacks, and DIY projects on an impressive array of gadgets and technologies.
36. CNC and DIY Technology™ : Read up on the latest CNC, computer security, and green technologies as well as related projects to do at home or in the lab.
37. YourITronics : Fans of electronics and IT components will love how YourITronics blends news and discussions about technology with some nifty, useful how-tos.
38. Electronics Lab : Some of the how-tos posted on Electronics Lab may be more appropriate for use outside the home, but technology fans can still appreciate everything the blog has to offer them all the same.
39. Circuit-Projects.com : Break out the soldering iron and get to wiring some incredibly cool gadgets and electronics with Circuit-Projects.com serving as an informed, intelligent guide.
40. Embedded projects from around the web : As promised in the title, this blog features daily and diverse MCU projects for the savvy technophile.
41. DIY Audio Projects : Between the blog, the website, and the forums, there is plenty of content for fans of audio technology and DIY projects to appreciate here.
42. Matthew’s Auto Repair Blog : Save money on a mechanic by taking advantage of About.com’s portal to DIY automobile repair tips and tricks.
43. GetLoFi : Targeting both professionals and amateurs alike, GetLoFi focuses on circuit bending and audio technology projects as well as relevant news and trends.
44. Hack N Mod : Hack N Mod hosts a slew of excellent, creative tech and gadget DIY projects to suit a wide variety of different needs and wants.
45. The Smell of Molten Projects in the Morning : Peruse The Smell of Molten Projects in the Morning for regular tips, tricks, ideas, and projects involving a few different aspects of technology.
46. The Raw Chef Blog : Individuals and families on a raw food diet – or those wanting to incorporate such dishes into their daily intake – would do well to try some of Russell James’s mouth-watering recipes.
47. Simply Recipes : Learn how to whip up dishes for (almost any occasion, dietary restriction, or budget with this great recipe resource.
48. For the Love of Cooking : This simple, straightforward blog shares some great dishes for the home chef to prepare and serve, especially when it comes to vegetarian cuisine.
49. The Recipe Girl : Beyond the blog, visitors to The Recipe Girl have thousands of tantalizing dishes to choose from, a shop to explore, entertaining tips to browse, and more.
50. The Secret Recipe Blog : Learn how to recreate popular restaurant favorites right at home with The Secret Recipe Blog, which updates weekly.
51. The Pioneer Woman : Anyone looking for enticing recipes and tips on canning, cooking, and entertaining must take advantage of Ree Drummond’s blog full of eclectic delights.
52. Gluten-Free Goddess Recipes : For those with dietary restrictions or lifestyle preferences that preclude the consumption of gluten, Karina Allrich makes sure they can still fill their kitchens with the sensual pleasures of their favorite foods.
53. Herbivoracious : Though catering mostly to the vegetarian crowd, Michael Natkin’s blog offers up plenty of vegan and modifiable dishes to please almost any palate and preference.
54. Cooking with Amy: A Food Blog : This food and lifestyle blog provides readers with great recipes and cooking advice in addition to news, reviews, and some neat travel stories as well.
55. Mom’s Café Home Cooking : Print out some comforting recipes and read all about gadgetry that interests home chefs with this very useful, very homey little blog.
56. Home cooking rocks! : Recipes both familiar and exotic sit alongside quick how-to instructions on different kitchen techniques and a community, all brought to readers by the passionate Connie Veneracion.
57. Kitchen Hints and Tips : Beyond recipes, Kitchen Hints and Tips posts frequently about other factors that home chefs ought to consider – everything from useful equipment to canning to picking out the best possible ingredients gets covered here.
58. Noel’s Kitchen Tips : Current and aspiring home chefs hoping to make meals for themselves will love the great recipes and cooking tips suitable for any fiscal or temporal restriction.
59. Tammy’s Recipes : Drop by Tammy’s Recipes for how-tos, recipe exchanges, menu suggestions, kitchen tips, and other elements of value to home cooks.
60. Get Cooking : Stop by Get Cooking for the recipes, stay for the advice on finding the best books and products for the well-stocked home kitchen.
61. What’s Cooking Blog : DIY Types hoping to teach their children about making meals for themselves will love the recipes and advice presented at the What’s Cooking Blog.
62. Future Craft Collective : Future Craft Collective hopes to promote upcycling and recycling projects that families can do together in order to teach children the importance of caring for the planet.
63. Crafting a Green World : Repurpose (clean!) disposables into viable home décor, accessories, apparel, and other creative projects.
64. How Can I Recycle This? : Stop by this incredibly informative blog for some intelligent, creative alternate uses for everyday items such as eggshells, VHS tapes, house keys, and more.
65. Craft Test Dummies : Though a general craft, quite a bit of this blog is dedicated to re-appropriating and recycling old items into useful pieces of art, clothing, or something else entirely.
66. Recycled Crafts : As one can probably assume from the title, Craft Gossip’s Recycled Crafts blog revolves around applying creativity to and seeing the potential that lay in what many cast aside as useless bits of detritus.
67. Craft Leftovers : DIY types hoping to reuse the waste left over from different projects would do well to drop by this blog to see what they can fashion out of them.
68. sew and so : Use sew and so as a great reference for fashion tutorials that re-appropriate old fabrics and materials and turn them into great new apparel, accessories, or home décor items.
69. My Recycled Bags.com : Plastic bags from the grocery store can be transformed into any number of great products with a crochet hook and a little bit of creativity.
70. HAUTE*NATURE : Not everything at HAUTE*NATURE revolves completely around DIY projects, but they do feature plenty of how-to guides alongside their postings on trends in the sustainable design community.
71. Superuse.org : Like HAUTE*NATURE, not all of the content at Superuse.org involves a how-to or DIY project – but they still have plenty to offer when it comes to instructions and inspiration all the same.
72. Renegade Handmade : The Renegade Craft Fair Community celebrates creativity by forming a community based around art, innovation, and sustainability.
73. whip up : Learn how to refashion everything from bias tape to old book covers into something new and exciting to wear, use, or decorate with.
74. SuperNaturale : Meet with other like-minded DIY types and exchange patterns and ideas for all different types of arts and crafts at SuperNaturale.
75. Craft Tutorials : It’s really all outlined in the title – Craft Tutorials hosts numerous how-to guides for great jewelry, scrapbooking, home décor, and many, many other types of projects.
76. Craftbits.com : Easily one of the best craft blogs available online, Craftbits.com has something for every creative DIY enthusiast – from soap to cards to jewelry and everything in between.
77. Craft Gossip : Another resource that every DIY fan must bookmark, Craft Gossip acts as another one-stop shop for all things creative and artistic.
78. Craftster : Hit up this fantastic community for advice, patterns, ideas, and inspirations from a very wide variety of different crafty disciplines.
79. Craft : The fine folks at Make also offer the DIY community Craft. Which, as one can probably surmise, involves craft projects. Surprised?
80. Knitty : Pick up those pointy needles and head for one the internet’s biggest and most respected resource for all things knitting and purling.
81. Fine Craft Guild : Fine Craft Guild centers around handmade gifts and clothing, offering up tutorials, patterns, advice, and anything else a DIY enthusiast needs to indulge in some creative pursuits.
82. Ravelry : Browse thousands of free knitting and crocheting patterns to suit pretty much anything for any need or want. If it cannot be found on Ravelry, then it probably cannot be found at all.
83. Crochet Me : Consider Crochet Me the Knitty of the hooking community, as pretty much anything on the craft is right here for everyone’s convenience.
84. Cut Out + Keep : This eclectic community, blog, and website encourages people to share their craft projects with one another in order to nurture creativity and the DIY lifestyle.
85. futuregirl.com : Take advantage of futuregirl.com’s free downloads and tutorials and get started on new, interesting craft projects today!
86. Dollar Store Crafts : DIY types faced with a rather scant budget will absolutely love the patterns provided here, which utilize items found almost exclusively in dollar stores.
87. The Crafts Dept. : Martha Stewart’s crafting team share video and written tutorials on a number of different things to make for the home, body, and gifts.
88. CraftyPod : Both a blog and a podcast, CraftyPod has a little something for everyone looking for a few creative, fun DIY projects.
89. getcrafty.com : Hit up getcrafty.com’s vibrant and innovative community and learn everything there is to know about all different kinds of arts and crafts.
90. Threadbanger : Threadbanger is a veritable Holy Grail of DIY fashion, helping people find their creative voice and style with great suggestions, templates, patterns, and other aids.
91. Rain’s DIY Fashion : About.com’s portal to DIY fashion tips, trends, and patterns provides a nice foundation for beginners hoping to put together their own clothes and accessories.
92. DIY Style : DIY Style makes for an amazing resource for anyone who hopes to make their own clothes and accessories, providing readers with patterns, product reviews, and other necessary tools.
93. OutsaPop : OutsaPop takes inspiration from high fashion to bring hot runway and haute couture trends to the DIY community.
94. BurdaStyle : This daily updated blog blends fashion trends and DIY sensibilities to help sewing enthusiasts find what it needs to whip up great outfits and accessories.
95. Kingdom Of Style : Fashionistas with a love of making their own clothing and accessories will fall head over heels for the trendy-but-tasteful aesthetic sported by the Kingdom of Style.
96. P.S. I made this… : A fun, inspiring, and highly creative blog, P.S. I made this…hopes to nurture the DIY movement by offering some excellent fashions for readers to enjoy making at home.
97. …love Maegan : In addition to offering up a bevy of great DIY fashion projects for clothing and accessories, Maegan Tintari also has some excellent tips on hair care and styling as well.
98. Park & Cube : Hit up the DIY section of this sizzling fashion blog for how-to instructions on accessories and apparel inspired by runway hotness.
99. Style Hurricane : DIY enthusiasts eager for projects to flaunt their sense of fashion would do well to drop by Style Hurricane and blow through the sexy jewelry, hair accessories, purses, apparel, and more!
100. DIY Fashion : Even CosmoGIRL thumbs its nose as its advertisers by teaching readers how to apply their creativity to a number of different stylish projects.
No matter one’s motivation for making his or her own clothing, technology, food, and other necessities, the DIY community is there to help them learn and grow along the way. Take advantage of what the internet has to offer and, in turn, share with others the lessons picked up along the way.